It is important that we remain focused and motivated through out the day while at work, when we do this we tend to achieve more. However maintaining peak levels of productivity and motivation is difficult for anyone, even if you love your job. I find it even more so in Dubai when you are soaked in sunny days and beaches are never too far away! There are some days, like project deadlines or end of financial year where we cannot afford to lose our focus for one second of the day. How do we cope in these situations? Do you just get on with it? There are small things you can implement into your daily routine to help focus and stay motivated at work. We have ten healthy habits you should adopt to help you be more motivated and productive in the office.
- Exercise – This is key and there are many study’s that link being physically fit with improved cognitive function. Even if it just 20 minutes a day, it can make a difference. I find working out in the morning fills me with energy for the day, though a work out in the evening can be a great way to de-stress. You can even do it at your desk during your lunch break!
- Brain Food – Cut of the caffeine and sugar from your diet. Ditch the fast food and think about want you put in your mouth. If you eat natural products and foods (such as oats) with slow releasing carbohydrates you will have a lot more energy out the day.
- The Great Outdoors – Make sure you experience some sort of fresh air through out the day. Even if you just walk the long way round to the meeting. Fresh air always revitalizes me, even in the raging Dubai Summer 🙂
- Take a Break– Some even suggest Take 10 Minutes For Every 50 Minutes Of Work. Now this is not always practical in the real world but even if its five minutes to read an article it will help. I always find my afternoons are more productive when I have taken my lunch break. Food for thought!
- Zen Space– Ensure your work space is clear of clutter and distracting .
- Set Goals – Even if you do this only with yourself, this will help you stay on track and measure your progress.
- One Thing at a Time – When we have lots to do, big projects and multi tasking tasks it can all get a little overwhelming. Break it all down in to bite size tasks and complete each one before moving on to the next.
- Find a Mentor – I find this invaluable in work life. Even if it’s not a company standard ask for one. It will help you develop and someone else will have a key interest if you are achieving your goals. They do not even have to be in the same department as you.
- Be Honest– If you are really struggling with something, ask for help. This can be from a colleague or your manager.
- Mind over Matter – Use Mindfulness to help you at work. We can all get drawn in to the daily saga at the office but do not let it cloud what is important getting the job done. Just remind yourself consciously what you need to do and how you are going to do it. Take stock, even for 30 seconds.
Have you tried any of these tips and tricks? Have they worked? Let us know in the comment section below.
– Love Blondbee